01 January 1861
Yellow Bluff Fort Historic State Park
This site was an important military position during the Civil War.
Located near the mouth of the St. Johns River, this site was an important military position during the Civil War, allowing access to the inland areas of Florida's east coast.
There was never an actual fort on Yellow Bluff but an encampment was fortified and equipped with large guns for protection. When construction began in 1862, the site was occupied by both Confederate and Union troops during the Civil War and at its peak housed more than 250 soldiers. The site has a T-shaped earthworks and covers about 1.3 acres.
The park is located on Yellow Bluff peninsula on the north side of the St. Johns River (on New Berlin Road).
Erected by the United Daughters of the Confederacy
Martha Reid Chapter
Annie Perdue Sebring Chapter
Alexander H. Stephens Chapter
Mary Holland McCleary Chapter
Robert E. Lee Chapter
Site Donated by the North Shore Corporation 1950